Shelf Life

It’s funny how there are some plans you stew and stew over before putting them into action, while others seem to be executed nearly immediately. The latter was the case for my most recent DIY–installing a set of shelves in the corner of our office. A routine Saturday browsing of the internets led me to stumble across a photo of an ingenious design for wall mounted display shelves that I felt compelled to emulate post haste.

100_41521

100_4161

Normally, I think it’s best to leave corners open and free of clutter, but there is so much I love about this design from A Home West. I think it’s a super way to display the artifacts that help define us while still maximizing storage capacity. And since storage has always been an issue for Heath and myself–I’m a bit of an impulse buyer, Heath’s got a smidge of hoarder in him–this solution seemed ideal for both storing Heath’s collection of history books and my random assortment of knick knacks. I don’t exaggerate when I say fewer than 10 minutes passed from the moment I stumbled across this clever home remedy and when I departed to Home Depot for supplies. A couple of hours later, the office was rejuvenated.

officeshelvesbeforeandafter

DIYofficewallshelves shelvesincorner

shelfbrackets

It turned out to be an incredibly simple, fast, and affordable way to freshen up a neglected space. We already had the wood from an old project Heath and I worked on at our last house, which, coincidentally, was also one we embarked on to create storage in our old office. So the only real cost was the hardware:

• 20 1/2-inch wood screws (four for each shelf)
  • 10 L-shaped brackets
  • 20 washers
  • 20 metal anchor screws
  • 20 3-inch wall screws
  • Black spray paint

That was it! I think I spent something like $34 total and a Saturday afternoon to see the transformation through to fruition. I still need to stain the edges of the shelves, and I’ll admit, I kind of miss my map wall, but my lust for this new unit is keeping me pretty satisfied.

eclecticoffice

15 Comments on “Shelf Life”

I approve! It does look more grown up now.

2. The shelves look great. I am trying to think of a place I could employ them in my house!

3. Anne Lene says:

Great result, I would say you did really well :-) it works great in that corner.

4. EmmaK says:

This looks great. I spend my life living in a small house with never enough space so might try something like this (normally, I try and hide everything away).

5. Navi Cheema says:

I will definitely be trying something like this! Love the wood you picked too….thanks for sharing!

6. matinamk says:

Hello!I would like to inform you that I’ve nominated you for the ‘Very Inspiring Blogger Award’!!Here, you can find the post I wrote about this award and my nominations!!(http://youhandmademehappy.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/a-very-inspiring-blogger-award-for-a-happy-blog/)
    Happy Blogging!!
    M. :)

7. Those shelves look amazing. So practical and space saving… may possibly steal (emulate) such idea in my house myself!

8. pluanna says:

Wow, I really love this idea! I like that colour of the wood as well. I will have to try it one day :)

9. Hello there! I have nominated you for the “Inspirational Blog Award” over on my blog http://www.thekyrahbanks.com

10. erikakh says:

Made a white shelf for myself after seeing this post ages ago and the amount of comments I’ve had on how I did it are phenomenal! Yours still looks better though.

11. JPei says:

Your house is really cute! The colors are all so bright and happy. Your 2 dogs are also a nice addition to the family.