The need for seed

Blast those nincompoops who told us, as children, that gardening is as simple as dropping a seed in a hole and splashing it with water. Maybe that’s the case in the Northwest, but here in Texas it’s just not that simple…especially when you’re talking about seed starting.

Heath’s been itching to start gardening from seeds (rather than transplanting) for quite some time now. For one, it’s a pretty stellar way to feel somewhat God-like. Taking a tiny pebble-like object and transforming it into leafy, nutrient providing green. It does wonders for the ego.

Secondly, if the seeds grow to maturity, it’s a much, much, much more economical way to garden. Think about it: a single 3-inch tall tomato plant usually costs around $3.50 and will probably yield around 15 pounds of fruit in a good (“good” being the operative word) season. Not too bad considering what you pay in a grocery store for organic ‘maters. But a package of seeds, which usually has a count around 100 or so, is less than $2. I’m no mathematician, but based on those numbers, if you can do it right, seed starting is the way to go.

No problem except that when you start getting into it, seed starting is tricky business. Conditions must be perfect.

• The seeds need to have between 12 and 18 hours of light each day. In the winter, when daylight isn’t so ample, dropping them in a hole and letting nature do it’s thing isn’t so much of an option. You’ve got to rig up a complicated lighting system, preferably attached to a timer, to make sure they get the appropriate amount of artificial sunshine.
  • Not just any soil will do. In fact, when seed starting, the experts recommend “soilless” soil. Which seems a little paradoxical. Using top soil from an existing garden can actually kill the seeds and you don’t always know the exact compounds you’re dealing with, and it has a tendency to compact easily without air ventilation, the presence of earthworms and manual tilling.  Instead, it’s recommended that gardeners use a mixture of sphagnum peat moss, plus vermiculite and a little perlite. The soilless mixture is much lighter than top soil and ultimately helps the seeds grow stronger, faster.
  • Seeds like the temperature to be juuuuuust right. Like me, seeds do best in temps between 65 and 70 degrees. While the temp has been known to occasionally hover around that level for day or two during Austin winters, it’s not a done deal. So the seeds usually have to live inside, and not just inside, but in a place that is well ventilated with moisture control. I’m telling you, they get a better set up than me, Heath and the doodles combined.

The caring and handy individual he is, Heath spared no expense creating the perfect environment to start our seeds. Well, I guess he spared some expense, considering seed starting paraphernalia can retail in the hundred dollar range. We spent a grand total of about $30, but the top shelf of our laundry room is now Seed City. The spectacular shelf-top community features scenic views (of our washer and dryer), superfluous sunshine (16 hours of florescent lighting) and a cool and breezy climate (a circulating fan rigged to dangle from the ceiling in lieu of an actual ceiling fan). It might be a little makeshift, but dammit if it didn’t get the job done.

By summer, we should have a truck load of tomatoes, kale, chard, lettuce, peppers and broccoli to keep us satiated. What’s more, seedlings are not the only thing growing beneath the light of the laundry room. We have new chicks as well.

It’s going to be an exciting spring.

110 Comments on “The need for seed”

Those seedlings are almost as cute as the chicks. I am now the proud parent of 2 artichoke seedlings. We will see…

2. Lisa says:

I just sent Heath a text/photo of our seedling attempt. Good luck with yours. We have tomatoes, bell pepper, and yellow squash in the seedling pots.
    Have onions to set out when this rain stops. Also, potatos, corn, broccolli, cabbage, cauliflower, and lettuce.
    Roger tilled up our garden spot last week. Can’t wait to see it all grow.
    Lisa

3. I am probably the worst gardener in the world…I had no idea the kind of effort and time it takes to grow something! I am one of those people who thinks you can just drop any seed into any soil, water it, and it will flourish.

It would explain why my plants keep dying on me and why nothing ever seems to grow in my garden…

Great post and your photo of the chicks is so cute!!

4. susielindau says:

I have never been successful at started plants from seed probably because they didn’t have enough light and got really leggy. I will attempt it once again. There can be no better feeling than “Godlike!” Hahaha!

5. Ashlee Craft says:

Very informative post! Your blog is great!

6. Adorable chicks…and amazing gardening prowess! I wish I had a green thumb. But alas, mine is but black and talentless…

😉

7. Rae says:

Good tips! And is there anything cuter than a baby chick (besides a kitten)? I don’t think so.

• Nope baby chicks and kittens! I have been thinking about gardening this year again. It is an important skill that we need to hone to ensure we know how to take care of ourselves. Enoy the season, we only get one per year! AmberLena

8. Hunting says:

You might try winter sowing. I’m up in Maine, and maybe conditions are so different the winter sowing milk jug technique wouldn’t work for me, but for it’s been cheap, simple, and effective. No pots…

9. The Hook says:

Happy growing season!

10. df says:

Just found your blog thanks to Freshly Pressed and love what you’re doing. Your seed set-up sounds great and very creative. We’re in a northern setting in Canada, and just set up our seed pots on a table or shelves in front of a large set of double-glass doors with southern exposure. We count on just the sunlight that we get each day, starting in early March (our seedlings can’t go into the ground as quickly as yours due to being in the frozen north), and do quite well, though some get a bit leggy before we can move them outside!

Your chicks are beautiful and I have chicken-envy – good luck with them!

11. Oh, I am itching for spring gardening. I just had my kids plant some indoor seeds just so we could have a few. It really is not time to start that here with the equipment we have on hand anyway but I just couldn’t resist. Good luck with your seedlings and gardening.

12. I really like your blog. Thanks for sharing the critters. Connie

13. I absolutely love starting my garden from seeds, You bond with them. You feel a real responsibility for their success, truly the way to go. I never expected to be a gardener, but I have to admit, it is one of the true joys in life. Thanks for the post!

14. pnwauthor says:

An inspirational post. I like seeing people grow their own food.

15. Very inspiring, human seed sprouter! I have never had much success thus far with hot plant seeds – tomatoes, peppers, basil, eggplant. I’ve also not had much success with carrots. They’ve sprouted just FINE for me, but it’s getting them to harden off and survive long enough to grow strong enough to produce fruit. Cucumbers, zucchinis and beans have done better for me. I’ve done this in both Nevada and in the Northwest. The trouble in the NW (Seattle) is the sunlight. And since we’re concerned about additional CO2, we’ve not actually rigged up a lighting system yet. But alas, it may be our only option for NW sprouting success. Do you have thoughts on this?

Best wishes with the chicks!

• We’ve heard that you aren’t suppose to sprout tuberous plants (like carrots) indoors. They are one of the few that do better outside. So far we have had success with tomatoes, lettuce and broccoli, but a particularly tough time with peppers. Right now we are trying to keep peppers on a heat mat for 7-10 days where plants like lettuce and tomatoes only really need 4-5 days to germinate. We’re still just learning as we go.

16. Heyo! Great site and post. Give us a scroll over at Garden Eats if you need anymore pointers or tips on mastering the seed trade! Have fun and happy gardening!

17. Really excellent post! I started planting my own seeds two years ago and I love it! I plant buttercrunch lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, fennel, and more. I also raise them organically. If you want to keep away pests make a thyme tea. Steep the thyme leaves in hot water, let cool, then add to a spray bottle and spray your plants. It works for me. I love that you guys have chickens. Do you have any caring tips to share? I would love to get my own, but I am not sure how to care for them. Stop by and say hi 🙂

• The biggest chicken advice is just to be aware of the fact that everything eats chickens…EVERYTHING. We’ve lost a few to a number of neighborhood critters, which unfortunately is a part of chicken rearing. So make sure they have a secure home and be very watchful of them as chicks. We keep ours inside for the first few weeks while they are especially vulnerable.

18. 365dots says:

Oh I knew it couldn’t be so simple! I recently planted 32 seeds and now they’re probably all gonna die lol. Well maybe there is still time to save them. Love the blog!

19. wellspring01 says:

Next thing you know you’ll be bitten by the seed-saving bug! It all starts very innocently, as you’ve already discovered … I started with tomato seeds and ended up with a CSA garden featuring heirlooms. Be careful is all I’m sayin’. 😉

20. rootietoot says:

There is no optimist as optimistic as a gardener in the Early Spring. My seeds just arrived and I’m itching to get stuff planted under the cold frame.

21. Ivynettle says:

You know, I had the best results when I was 15, used garden soil, no grow lights (still don’t have those) and a drafty windowsill… now, ten years older, working in horticulture, I give them the best light, best seed-starting mix, do my best with the temperatures… and some plants just won’t grow! I swear they’re mocking me!

22. coupletastic says:

I’m super envious! I really want to have a great garden, but our lot is super shady…and we have a crazy amount of bunnies who eat everything I plant. I need a tutorial on how to keep the bunnies out of the garden goods! Adorable post! I’m glad I found your blog!
    -Kristin

23. Ashley says:

I just found you on freshly pressed. I love your blog! This year we want to grow more of our own food. I also really want chickens but that won’t happen for a while. I will be following you now 🙂

24. Sajeevs blog says:

Wonderful work & great post! The pictures are beautiful:)

25. sarsm says:

I tried growing herbs from seed last year and I managed to kill every single plant. Sob
    But, I did manage to grow a few rocket leaves. I was so pleased with myself – then my son dug them up and disposed of them because he thought they were weeds.

Better luck with your seeds!!

26. akwoman says:

Best of luck to you and your seeds! My snap peas and flowers are going to be started this weekend, but there’s three feet of white stuff on top of the soil in the yard at the moment, so no hurry!
    Cute blog – congrats on being “freshly pressed”

27. vincitore117 says:

I made a garden. But plants does not seem to have strength. Looks dull. Do you have any idea how to prepare good organic manure.

• Right now we are composting horse manure; however, horse manure isn’t ideal for vegetables because it’s so high in nitrogen. Fruiting vegetables require more phosphorous (Heath’s a science teacher and tell’s me what’s what.) We will use that on nitrogen loving plants like lettuce and turf grass.

Ideally you want a fowl manure or cow manure, which has a better balance of NPK. If you can turn it every day and keep moisture correct, you can get it to compost in a month, which allows the temperature to get high enough. If you let it sit, it could take 6 months to a year to properly compost and rot. I think the key is letting the temperature get hot enough to kill all of the harmful microorganisms, leaving the beneficial microbes behind.

Good luck!

28. transplantednorth says:

living here up north, I crave my garden and seem to start seedlings earlier and earlier each year. I’ve got three trays going in my basement: basil, lettuce, cilantro. Thank you for sharing your intricate techniques in growing seeds down south. I hope Texas receives just the right amount of rain this year.

29. Grumpa Joe says:

Did-ja get your chicks mail order?

30. Grumpa Joe says:

One trick to starting seeds is to keep them moist during germination. Then after germination you have to give them moisture, but not so much that they drown, and air. Then you have to keep them from getting spindly by adjusting light conditions just right. Eventually, you can transplant the seedlings to a larger pot, and keep them warm, sunny, and moist, but not so wet that they drown, and not so sunny that they become spindly. Out of the hundred seeds you started with you are lucky to get 100 or maybe 1.
    Good luck, I start my seeds in another month.

31. I love gardening! I work at a plant nursery and adore watching the plants grow. Thank you for the post it was so informational! Loved it!

32. Angela says:

I’m living in Thailand currently and have been trying to start a garden (from seed) for the past months with my boyfriend (more effort/research, more photo-taking/moral support on mine). Sunlight hasn’t been so much of an issue (although there have been plenty of weeks when it rained on end), but our (late) pet rabbit, (current) pet dog, and pesky birds in the garden have done their fair share of damage! Still, we finally have some gorgeous tomatoes growing, some lettuce, and more basil than we know what to do with. It can be a long, nerve-wracking process but in the end I’m sure it will be worth it. Good luck!

33. P. S. Eddy says:

That’s weird, your blog post just made me crazy hungry. Totally craving a tomato/kale omelette!

34. Gustaw says:

Gardening isn’t that much of trouble. Here in Poland a lot of people have their home gardens. We also grow tomatoes, but we get less sun than is available in Texas.

Anyway wish you best.

35. cruelmutante says:

Reblogged this on cruelmutante and commented:
    Very inspirational blog, good job.

36. Our study morphs into a “seed city”, every year around March the juggling game goes on with seed trays on the windowsills, gradually being transferred to a sheltered spot outside and then into the ground. It’s like some kind of seedling merry-go-round! Happy Gardening!

• kab010111 says:

You’re making me want to rig up something similar in my laundry room! Unfortunately, a recently relocated indoor plant proves that my green thumb is more black than green, as it’s move led to it’s death. I think I’ll stick to keeping my blog alive. 🙂

37. implanti says:

Great green thinking

38. I like veggies. Now I see that is not so easy to plant them. Oh, I loved your new chicks!

39. Raaj Trambadia says:

That’s a gr8 and very cute idea 😀 Cheers

40. Jenbug says:

I, too, start my plants from seeds and I love the feeling it gives me when I see their tiny little green shoots poking up through the soil. I use the little trays that have those weird hockey puck pellets that expand when watered. They’ve been the most cost-effective way for me to get my seeds started. I look forward to keeping up with the chicks’ progress, too! I’ve been after my husband for chickens for a few years now, but he’s just not having it. He can be such a party pooper! Good luck with the gardening. Keep us updated!

41. busymomhelp says:

I just love your post, as I have myself gone thru all this both with the seeds and with chicks. I failed miserably with the seeds, but the chickens have grown up and are laying eggs right now.

42. Maybe the sound of the washing machine can calm the chicks too. It works on babies.
    Also I was thinking the humidity generated from the washing machine (or clothes being hung to dry) would give a greenhouse effect for the seeds.
    Sounds like your laundry room is now a multipurpose room.

43. Kevin says:

I am so with you when it comes to seeds. It’s an economical way to produce your own food, to beautify your yard, to engage kids in learning, to appreciate nature, and to accomplish something from start to finish. I’ll be starting mine this weekend. Congrats on being “Freshly Pressed.”

44. My mother used to start plants every year. When I use seeds, I kill things off. Inside or out, they die or come up at the wrong time. So I have given up on buying seeds. The husband prefers to buy his plants.

45. Stacy says:

I too love the idea of starting from seeds for both the economics of it and the cool factor, but it never quite works out for me. This year, I’m going back to transplants (for the most part). Oh, and pots too! Great post!!

46. Alice says:

OMG. I have been itching to start planting my seeds. At least I have worked out which ones are going when and where but this will be the first year I start them inside so we will see how they work out 🙂 Cant wait to see how yours turn out!!!

47. Reblogged this on WildernessU-Georgia and commented:
    Plant a garden this spring!
    Post re-blogged from Austin-based ‘the doodle house’

48. megfalcon says:

Shout out from a Ft Worth gardener! I started my seeds early too,but refused to pay the ridiculous amount for grow lights so I put some soil in some plastic sandwich boxes (like the ones from Starbucks or the plain clear ones/got the idea from martha stewart of all people) and put them on a heating pad during the cold days and they sprouted after 4 days. Its like a baby green house. I also went to the closest gas station and asked if they had any extra plastic soda crates (they usually throw them in the dumpster) they told me to take all of them and come back any time I needed more. They’re great for holding plants in pots/containers and have nice durable handles and they’re stackable to save space. Good luck with your babies!

49. jeffevraets says:

I just found your blog and heard that you needed a cheap DIY light source…I got it.

Let me know what you think!

50. southerndreamer says:

I used to use the Jiffy seed starter kits. They were HORRID! They molded. The seedlings got seed rot. I was lucky if I managed one or two plants out of the whole deal. Last year I switched to the Burpee self-watering kits, which control the moisture. I dusted w/a bit of garden dust b/c I’m pretty sure I have mites and other stuff on some of my houseplants. It did the trick, as they are doing even better than last year’s batch. I always have the hardest time getting them from the pampered seedling phase to the hardy plant phase. I read that if you let a fan gently blow air so the seedlings are waving a bit it makes them stronger. I also bought a pop-up green house, as my part of the country is very similar in weather patterns to yours. I’ve yet to put it up as I plan to use it for the hardening off phase. I haven’t figured out where to put it that the dogs won’t promptly destroy it. 😀 Good luck with the gardening! I bought a chicken coop and plan to buy adult birds in a little while as I have a feeling my cats would promptly serve themselves.

51. Your chicks are adorable!

52. littletipple says:

the photography is superb – and makes me want to go grow things – really liking the methodological approach to growing things – really inspiring!

53. iyouwefree says:

awesome and cheap way to start seedlings! makes me appreciate living in a climate where i can start mine outdoors 🙂

54. shelley168 says:

It’s going to be an exciting spring.

55. Growing from seed is a skill many may someday wish wasn’t so forgotten, as grocery prices rise. Conditions don’t have to be so perfect, if you’re willing to make due with less than 100% results, and if you have a few minutes twice per day to adjust things: lay an old window outdoors across a ring of bricks (or mounded dirt) to solar-heat seeded cups of dirt underneath; prop up glass on hot days to allow airflow, but lay glass flat before sun-down to seal out frosts; and of course don’t forget to water whenever dirt starts to look dry. Anyway, nice pictures in your post. Glad you are having success 🙂

56. emmycooks says:

For what it’s worth, seeds DO sometimes pop up easily here in the Northwest–and then equally often get drowned by rain. So it’s a mixed bag. But YOUR garden is going to be amazing!

57. nenskei says:

I should start making my lawn for my gardening 😛

58. anabluemae says:

I’m SO jealous! I would love to be able to start anything from seeds, but I just don’t have the skills to keep them alive. Good luck!

59. slcase90 says:

It’s not that easy in the North West either!! Here we have too cool of temperatures. Our growing season doesn’t start until May-June. We HAVE to start our seeds indoors in about March-April if we even want to think about our plants growing to maturity… Growing season ends around September. 😦
    The chicks are so sweet! I wish I could have chickens… One day..
    Good Luck!

60. Very informative article on seeding and urban farming! I especially enjoyed that you spoke as one who has actually done it, and thus you explain the pitfalls and traps which often contradict what common sense would tell you. 🙂

61. Keep up the challenge. Take the good years with the bad-all part of gardening and a good teacher in life coping skills. I garden using organic methods, and find using raised beds extremely efficient and less water intensive. There in Austin, water becomes more and more precious. Do you collect rainwater and grey-water? I have a well here in Central Virginia, and always save cold-to- hot water from the shower. Grey water from the kitchen sink finds a place in the garden too.

62. Amory Stour says:

Great article. I will follow your progress closely for I too am trying to start my own personal urban farm in Paris. It’s in a bid to become more self sufficient, ecologically minded and of course eat nicer tasting food!

63. On my way to my blog, I discovered your and found a kindred soul in the garden.

64. NICE! My wife and I (in California) are doing more of our own organic growing as well. Herbs, tomatoes, peppers. We will start lettuce here soon as well. I actually wanted to do potatoes, but it’s just so darn cheap to buy them. Wanted to do egg hens too, but that’s time/cost prohibitive too. Good luck with your seeds!!!!

65. LaCaraVita says:

I have a little garden in Rome, Italy. Winter is leaving, spring is coming. What should I plant now? help please..need green fingers xxx

66. WoodRtist says:

That is the fun of growing when you start your plants from seed.
    It’s also a fun indoor thing to do waiting for spring to arrive.

67. Awesome job!!! I just planted my seeds today. I haven’t gardened in years and am hoping I will do ok this year. There are 2 families and mine (for a total of 3) going in together on this garden. One family has quite a bit of land and a garden spot already. My family and the other are working to fix the area up, get the chicken coop set up for our chicks that we are going to purchase and I started our seeds today. We are hoping for a labor of love this summer. Good luck to yours!

68. I planted from seed a few weeks ago. I have some beans, tomatoes and red/yellow/green peppers going. I started some poblano peppers today. We are in SW Florida. No problem with sun, just water. We are in an apartment and ours is townhome style. So I am trying containers out and am working to start some raised beds as I really do prefer them. I have grown vegetables from store-bought prestarted plants in the past and am now using seeds that I have harvested from the actual food we eat and some from purchased packages. It’s very, very difficult. I think it’s silly that I can operate a computer like nobody’s business but I can’t get a plant to properly grow from seed to sustain myself with any degree of reliable effort. I feel like I guess every season and am on a chase with luck. I’d like to get the system down so I can plan better. Maybe this will be my year!
    Good blog!

69. Loved your post. It took me back to the time we started our first garden and chicks after moving from California to Oklahoma to “farm.” Metal shelving and shop lights all over the house for seedlings. So much fun. Good luck on your garden adventure.

70. On Bended Creek says:

Growing up in Dallas, I can relate to the challenges of the Texas climate.

71. Looks like you have made a good start! A couple of things to consider: this is NOT an exact science. You can still get good results if you get close, not exact, on starting seeds. Lighting is pretty important, but if you can only get 8-10 hours you will start get things started nicely, they just won’t get as tall as fast. I have tomotoes (2 kinds!), jalepenos (again, 2 kinds), bell peppers and basil starting now. Good luck!

72. Soil and weather are always considerations. But here is a little information that might improve everything, mix a little of your garden soil with all seed mixture. There will be less transplanting problems, also when you are growing any plant that has seeds remember that they are fruit, so if you want fruit to produce at higher numbers and with better flavor trim the leaves and water them a treat. For the NY weather I also warm the soil with lots of stones, then my plants have a better warm growth base.

73. […] Doodle House’s awesome post The Need For Seed Share this:TwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

74. ryemacs says:

Lots to learn from, keep up the good work!

75. umanbn says:

Had a garden when we lived in London…it was my great escape. There is something extremely rewarding and healing about getting your hands in the dirt…and trying to help things grow..

76. I was getting dirt fever before I read this post – it is in overdrive now. 🙂

77. elliesmummy says:

Reblogged this on Too many balls….and so little time and commented:
    Good luck with the seedlings and the chickens.

78. Ryan Sprout says:

AWesome stuff ! Thanks for sharing!@

79. – Seeds are so important, its nice to see when people maintain a garden. Healthy eating starts with a good garden. Larger companies are alternating the genes of the seed and making each seed die after they produce. Its sad how much the food we each changed.

80. dRuizAl says:

depends also on what you are planting 😉

81. cathynd95 says:

Austin must be in a different “zone” than Houston. I work at our church garden, and we just tilled under the broccoli, which is a winter vegetable. We have cabbages coming out of our ears, and those plants will be tilled under in a couple of weeks when we get ready to plant tomatoes and other spring veggies. Lettuce, kale, swiss chard, mustard greens, all of them have been going strong for us all winter, and will be tilled under to make room in the garden for other spring/summer veggie plants.

Good luck with your seed starting. i always have great luck with getting the plants started at home, my problem is they don’t seem to survive the transplant….but I think that has more to do with my dogs pulling them up than anything else.

I also had a tomato plant that started growing from a seed that a bird dropped in my garden, it was in an odd place, but out of the way, so I let it grow to see what would happen. I had cherry tomatoes through the latter part of summer and into fall.

I also have several sunflowers starting from seed. they are the result of seeds from other sunflowers I started from seed last year dropping their seeds. So, don’t believe everything you hear from the “experts”.

Trust mother nature, she knows what she is doing, 🙂

82. abracole says:

Yay for growing your own veggies! I need to start my seeds soon too! I was feeling wholly unmotivated until I saw the photos of your little seedlings!

83. blastedgoat says:

I need to get started myself… I grew from seed last year and it is one of the best feelings when the little sprouts pop up and say hello for the first time. Great entry!

84. Amazing job! Sadly, I’m considered a serial plant killer because everything green that I tend to shrivels up within days. It’s uncanny and somewhat disconcerting. Even my cactus.

85. forestfae says:

I really enjoyed this posting. And those chicks are just so adorable, have you named them yet? We live in the south of Engeland, and have a very small garden, but in summer I love gardening as well, and also grow my own seedling from seed. It is just so rewarding to be able to gather fresh herbs and veggies daily from ones own garden.Have you ever tried growing salad spuds in growing bags? I have now done this for 3 consecutive years and it is so easy and takes up virtually no space at all.
    Happy gardening!

Take care,
    ForestFae

86. Sulfo says:

Adorable chicks and great images! I love your efforts 🙂

87. 4myskin says:

Sorry to bust your bubble, but it’s not easy in the Northwest to start seeds either. And when they do start…the animals eat them. 😦 SIGH

88. It does make you feel a bit godlike, doesn’t it? Good luck with the garden–it looks like it’s off to a great start!

89. I guess thanks are in order to WP for featuring you. I wish blogging existed when we were 20-somethings. I love your blog! Good luck with the ‘maters!!

90. […] borrowed from: The Doodle House Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in […]

91. mikela23 says:

Cute post! I used it for my idea for my first post, hope you don’t mind! I love home grown tomatoes 🙂

92. tubasteve42 says:

Good luck with the seedlings. Soon you’ll be looking into hierloom seeds. That way you can grow your own vegetables and then harvest seed from them for next year.

93. acountrywalk says:

You guys must be kindred spirits! We are a NOT so 20 something couple with about 250 seedlings in the dining room, a choco lab on the sofa and a coop full of chickens in the backyard. We even have a Ameraucana like the one in the pic! Just happened by and wanted to say Hi from GA.

94. We’re just buying our seeds here in Wisconsin. I can’t imagine how different it must be to grow seeds in texas. We’re actually going to try to save seeds too this year. Good Luck!

95. […] reading a post by doodle house which confirmed my suspicion that growing seeds is not as simple as it sounds, I started to […]

96. Cant wait to start gardening but here still 6 – 8 degrees C.

97. The Ale Guy says:

Great post, a gardener myself I enjoy working with my hands.

98. It really is satisfying to watch plants grow from seeds into small plants, bushes or even trees! It’s definitely more economical, but more than that, it’s so exciting! The chicks are adorable by the way! 🙂

99. Courtney says:

I’m so jealous of your soon-to-be vegetable garden! We’re beginning the process of growing grass right now, but I def. want to get a vegetable garden going as well soon 🙂

100. […] The Need for Seed The joys and challenges of starting a garden from seed. […]