A Puzzling Prospect

There were 293486234 things I didn’t like about the rental kitchen: the counter tops, the layout, the cabinets, the floors, the HEAT (have I mentioned we didn’t have Central AC?)… I could go on and on. But there was one thing I did like. My map wall.

Love maps. Always have. Always will. Not only are they colorful and pretty without being overly girly (your welcome, Heath), they are also educational and serve as a friendly reminder that I need to get out-of-town and be more of a world traveler. Win-win.

Of course, with a rental…maps were affixed with thumb tacks (the tack stands for tacky) instead of officially wallpapered or glued to the wall, which is what I would have ideally preferred to make me appear more like a classy lady and less like a serial killer plotting out the location of her next murder.

I couldn’t wait to resurrect the map wall the RIGHT way in the new house. Inspired by my friend Maggie, I even mapped out (get it…MAPPED out) the perfect location on a wall in the dining room.

Maggie's map wall she placed behind her repurposed headboard bar. Seriously, how cool is that?

I'm hoping to put mine on the wall with the shelving to give the dining room some pizzazz.

The only thing preventing me from busting out my map box and picking up some paste is the fear that I will like it for a few months, get tired of it and then want something completely different. I have been known to do this. After all, we have only lived in the house 5 months and I’ve already rearranged the living room once, painted it twice and changed the curtains at least 3 times. So what’s to keep me from getting “over” the map wall that I, at least for right now, think is so cool? I’ve never gone the whole wallpaper route before and it’s a project that I find extremely intimidating. Changing a papered wall is so much more of an ordeal than just slapping on a new coat or paint or switching out linens. So I’m in a tough position.

I loved the map wall before, and expect that I will love it again, but I also fear my own capricious design tendencies. So to map wall or not to map wall? That is the question.

11 Comments on “A Puzzling Prospect”

1. I’d go for it! Good luck!

2. 365dots says:

I love the idea! Why don’t you try having it as a temporary set up for a week or so and if you still love it as much make it permanent?

3. Loving the map wall – what a creative idea!

4. Joy says:

How about trying a few in semi-frames that can be easily replaced if you deciding “mapping” your destinations needs to be rethought?

5. Black Jesus says:

The map wall suits you well. Perhaps you can just keep pasting new maps on top of old maps based on places you’ve visited. Then when you sell the house whoever inherits it will be befuddled by the map wall. “WTF is wrong with the people who used to live here??” Also great use of the word capricious – fucking love that word.

6. I like the idea of a map wall, go for it 🙂

I have reservations about making projects “permanent” which is why every stone, brick or paver I’ve laid has been dry and without mortar,. So I feel your pain. I would say adhere the map(s) to masonite or something (wrapping the edge) and try that, except then your shelves might not work on top so great. Not sure.

8. Elizabeth says:

I LOVE the picture of the map wall and the dog. Adorable!

9. lexy3587 says:

I would get a big piece of foam-core board to put them on. for one thing, if you do want to do something like put push pins into it to indicate places you’ve been, it won’t be going right into your walls. for another, you can move it around, it can still be as enormous as you want, and you could put a border of some sort on it if you want to make it look more like a giant framed picture. If you don’t think you’ll like it in a year/6 months as of now, when you really do like it, chances are you’re going to want to be able to change it at least a bit.

10. […] my terrible choice in headlines, the map wall has made a comeback! Not in the dining room, like I initially planned, but instead in the new […]