Shifting landscapes

Traipsing across the parking lot of the Home Depot this afternoon, I was confronted with a harsh, and deeply unpleasant reality. As the vicious sun attacked my helpless pupils and a band of sweat hugged the back of my neck, there was no more denying the truth. Summer is coming.

Austin has been blessed this year with an uncharacteristically long spring season. A mild winter was followed by an outpour of restorative rains that resulted in a long and fruitful growing season, cool spring afternoons and many a porch beer.

The encroaching heat serves as a disappointing reminder that soon we will replace counting fire flies over IPAs with swatting mosquitoes over profanities. The end is nigh, but I am careful NOT to take for granted the swath of magical spring nights we were fortunate enough to enjoy before the season turned against us. Not just this year, but every year. The garden has seen some amazing transformation since we first made it ours some 4 years back.

veggiegardensveggiegarden

sidepatio

palletplanterfrontyard2

frontdriveway

backyardwideangledoodlehousefrontyards

backyardwhole

backyard2011-2015

backpatio

14 Comments on “Shifting landscapes”

1. K mom says:

Indeed gardens are ever evolving and an endless learning experience. Let’s hope for a less brutal summer and more growth in every way.

2. Mandii says:

Such a beautiful collection of photos – how amazing to have proof of the change!! Wonderful efforts, everything looks so green and luscious, you should be very proud 🙂

3. lisalouisedouglas says:

Awesome transformation

4. I’ve just been swatting the mosquitoes, swearing, whilst drinking the IPA and spraying myself with bug spray, careful not to get the spray into said beer.
    The yard is looking great! This is our next project after painting the house exterior. I had a horticulture guy come out to help me with yard ideas. Austin, and central Texas itself is a crazy set of ecosystems as we sit between two different systems (I guess it splits downtown right around Congress) so knowing your area, the soil, where the sun hits and when, is important.
    Good luck on future ventures. I always look forward to your posts.

5. Kristen says:

You’ve done such a great job transforming a barren landscape into something comfortable and homey! I’m in the process of landscaping now and it’s rough. I have an eye for interior decor, but when it comes to the outdoors, my ideas are as barren as the landscape. Thank you for the shot of inspiration!

6. weldontinatv says:

GREAT PICS & BLOG OVERALL! I’m now a follower & can’t wait to see more!

7. Girl Friday says:

As a new homeowner, it’s interesting and invigorating to see how homes and landscapes evolve with us!

8. ahasserd626 says:

Looks great Kelsey! The rain has been great for our gardens as well minus the mosquitoes!!! You have done a great job with your place! Love it!

9. ahasserd626 says:

Looks great Kelsey! The rain has really helped our gardens too. Although i could definitely loose the skeeters! You guys have done a great job with the house!! Love it!