Take 3: A final(?) attempt at a classy furniture makeover

Standing in line at the Home Depot, hand basket filled with paint thinner and sand paper, I realize that I may very well be insane, for I was gearing up to update an old, hand-made family dresser that I had previously– not once, but twice — tried to tackle. Would this third attempt at a creating a modern, fun and functional piece of home decor  be my last? If history was any indicator, probably not.

dresserbefore

On attempt one, an unfortunate lapse of judgement in the paint department resulted in a dresser that could have been dreamt up by the Harlem Globetrotters.

unnamed

Exhausted, defeated, and in no hurry to continue my intimate relationship with the orbital sander and foam paint brush, I resolved to hastily fix the problem with fabric and a staple gun. Undoubtedly an improvement, but only a temporary fix to buy myself some time before once again taking up arms against the contrary cabinet.

geometricdresserdesign

What I had always been shooting for  was something modern, grown up but still a little fun.  The fabric fix was most certainly fun, but you have to acknowledge, it was also a tad alienating. So I went back to the drawing board to come up with a solution that would age gracefully as styles change, but still maintain a little “edge” so to speak. Something a la this…

unnamed

The fabric would have to come off, as well as the multiple layers of blue and yellow paint.  But that wasn’t the whole of it. I would also remove the trim around the base and add some hairpin legs to really drive home that updated modern feel.  The only thing that would stay was the hardware. Finally, finally I think I nailed it.

dreserrenovationwoodandwhitedresserDIYdressermoderneclecticdresser

36 Comments on “Take 3: A final(?) attempt at a classy furniture makeover”

1. salpal1 says:

yep, you did! Love it. So, where did you get those hairpin legs? I have a book case…

It doesn’t resemble the original in the least, and yes, I think it will endure the test of time. Well done. And so much work!

3. Cara Grasso says:

That came out awesome! I love it! Hairpin legs have been my obsession lately, and I love that mid century modern look. Now I want to add some hairpin legs to something. Haha.

4. irinik says:

Reblogged this on xirotexnoirini and commented:
    μεταποίηση επίπλου

5. Sheridan Johnson says:

great job! you did it!

6. CupCake says:

An inspiring piece, I have many…unfinished works, this may just get me to complete a project. Thank you for sharing.

7. What you did was amazing! do you have any advice or helpful hints to refurnishing items?

8. fynnandcade says:

Yes!!! Nailed it!! 🙂

9. Looks great, kudos for not giving up until you achieved what you wanted!

10. perfect! third time was a charm. I love that you shared your “fails” as well…makes the post relatable and easy to read. great job!

11. Love the new look, very classy 🙂

12. Love this! The end result looks so good. And from the looks of your room, I love your style! I wish I had more patience to do a project like this!

13. joystateson says:

Just beautiful!! Another win for you.

14. Love this blog – very inspiring!

15. ahasserd626 says:

third time is the charm! looks great Kelsey!!

16. sassykabassy says:

Wow, that turned out great! Are you happy with it now?😀

17. cmblackwood says:

This post really got me. I have an obsession with all things decor, fashion, etc . . . as long as it’s clean and neat. And I absolutely love your finished product! 🙂

18. Oh my God! This is amazing!!!

19. The dresser looks great – what kind of paint did you use?

20. laurelavery19 says:

So inspiring! You did a great job!